Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Negative Nancy goes all Positive Patty

Lest you think I'm all Negative Nancy 24/7...(well, actually, I kind of am, but I do have positive thoughts occasionally), I thought I'd share my current list of the good things that have arisen out of our new living situation:

- I've cut back considerably on picking on my husband. I admit, I was getting really bad. When there are only two of you in a house, you choose to pick on yourself or the other person...or the dog.

- I've cooked...THREE meals. This is close to mind-blowing. I lack that gene that most moms have that make them want to create meals. I just want to talk about pop culture all day.

- Cooking for senior citizens is the most-rewarding thing I've done in the kitchen. Regardless of what you put in front of them, they love it. Right now, I feel that my skills are Paula Deen-esque. (Shhh...I know they're not.)

- I now have TWO more people in my daily life with whom I can share my many opinions! This is pure bliss because before last week, nobody seemed interested.

- Elder care is a little like a Reverse Parenting Do-Over. Basically, you SORT OF treat them like children and so you try and fix the things you let lapse when you were raising your own kids. I'm all over the balanced meal thingy. Oh and limits on TV - that is SO happening around here.

- In my Mom's eyes (poor as they may be), I'm AMAZING. If you listened to her talk about me, you'd think I was a combo of Mother Teresa and Ghandi.

- When things are taken away - i.e., food on a diet or independence in your life - you appreciate EVERYTHING. Suddenly, the chance to drive somewhere alone is nirvana.

- My Dad is a sick and twisted man (sense of humor, not dementia) and I really kind of like that. I'm just like him in so many ways. It's like I've brought the Fathership home and I'm refueling.

- I'm a control freak and the opportunity to control others - ADULTS! - has literally landed on my doorstep. I can order these people around and they don't resent me - THEY'RE GRATEFUL! Yeesh, this rocks.

OK, that's enough. This positive stuff is giving me a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment