Friday, May 4, 2012

In praise of the handlers

Good God, how do other people do it? How do MOST people wade through the insanity of health care? My amazing hubby is handling this for my parents and to me, it's nothing short of AMAZING.

Here's my advice to everyone planning on getting old: Save money and find a smart person to handle things for you.

Seriously. It's hard enough getting old -  losing your eyesight, hearing, physical fitness and ability to think fast. To me, it's difficult for a fairly intelligent and young-ish person to figure out health care and insurance. Try handling it when you're over 80. THAT'S the biggest crime against "the greatest generation." We've made it virtually impossible for them to adequately take care of themselves. We've added layers upon layers of government and rules and regulations and put them all in 8 point type that nobody over 35 can see. And then we ask our sweet senior citizens to repeat their birth date again and again and again. I'm just waiting for one of my parents to say (pardon my French) "I'm fucking old, OK?"

Yesterday we met with an elder care attorney. This woman rocked. She and hubby talked back and forth about programs and agencies and eligibility and rules and regulations. I sat quietly while my mind drifted off thinking, "Dad needs a shower and a shave tonight." That's me. VP in charge of Personal Hygiene....and diet...and laundry....and pee cleanup.

In that regard, we talked about getting funds for services and resources and equipment and maybe somebody to help Dad shower and shave. I felt a glimmer of hope, quickly extinguished when I heard the strains of NCIS. Again, kill me now.

Still, I think we're making progress and yet there's so much more to do.

My brother is going to visit today which will definitely perk up my Dad. Then again, maybe Dad will take him aside and ask him to help him escape.

Sorry, Dad. Me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment