Thursday, May 17, 2012

One step forward, two steps back

I think I figured out one of Dad's problems....because it's my problem too.

I've always been a "forward-thinking" kind of girl...and by "forward-thinking" I mean I live each day looking forward to something else. Yes, that means I'm not usually living in the moment. I can't help it. It's what I do and it's what Dad does. We make plans and then we look forward to them.

For me, my plans were wide-ranged. Honestly, I was living the life of Ryan, whoever the hell Ryan is/was. (Probably a former governor of Illinois, now spending time in jail.) In any case, it would not be unusual for me to say to Hubby: "So, what do you think about going to Vegas or New York next month?" And he would be fairly open to this suggestion. Yeah, it was cool.

For Dad, his plans were much more short-term. A special dessert he might have that evening. Sunday-night sandwich prep, i.e. the story behind the name of this blog. (Click here to read.) Or, between September and May, a new episode of NCIS. His plans were simple and yet they brought him a bit of joy.

Technically, Dad can still look forward to the same things. I haven't taken them away and, in fact, a case could be made that we've made those things better. Desserts are better. NCIS is WAY better in HD TV. But blocking his view of these things is the fact that he's here in my home, not in his home. This bothers him immensely and, therefore, it bothers me.

The other day, Dad told Mom that he felt like he was "kidnapped." And, technically, he was. We brought him here, against his wishes. Yes, it was for his own safety and well-being, but he still would rather not be here.

So my new goal is to create things that Dad can look forward to. I've got the dessert thing down. I've become the master of low-calorie, low-sugar, great tasting desserts. I should have my own show on the Food Network and my head isn't nearly as large as that Giada woman and, unlike Ina, I do have a pulse. (I know, I know, you want her life. I do too, but her voice makes me sleepy.)

The challenge will be figuring out activities and/or events that A) Dad will do, B) will engage his mind and, C) which are about as strenuous as walking from the couch to the bathroom. I know he can do it. I've seen him summon his best cognitive and orthopedic skills when the nurse or the PT are here. But getting him to do it for me, that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment